Your browser does not support JavaScript!

Email us on

Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA)


Preliminary Ecological Appraisals for planning applications

We can provide a Preliminary Ecological Appraisal through our ecology surveys. To help our clients get planning permission, we identify any ecological constraints to developing a site.  Our surveyors have a good working relationships with the national nature conservation agencies, thorough knowledge of the legislation around nature conservation and development. This means we can have productive discussions that lead to development decisions that work for the developer, the planning authorities and the natural environment.

Who needs a Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA)?

If you are developing a site or changing land use, you will need a Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA). The PEA, formerly known as an Extended Phase 1 Habitat Survey, is the most common type of habitat survey for planning applications. It is also useful if you are considering buying a site, as it identifies any potential constraints to the development of that site.

The Preliminary Ecological Appraisal is a first-stage ecological assessment that:

When should I do a Preliminary Ecological Appraisal?

You should conduct a PEA as early in the planning process as possible to identify any ecological constraints to the site. Although the PEA can be done at any time of year, if it identifies habitats for protected species on your site, then you will need to conduct additional habitat surveys for these species.  This can delay planning, since surveys for some protected species can only be done at certain times of the year.

The Preliminary Ecological Appraisal report will indicate which species and habitats are at the site, as well as species which may visit or be active at the site at other times of the year.

Do I need protected species surveys?

If the Preliminary Ecological Assessment indicates that protected species could be active on your site, then you will need to submit protected species surveys as part of your planning application. We can provide you with a surveyor to conduct surveys for: